Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Day Three - Feel the Vibrations

...and not the good kind, sadly. You know, I once had a doctor who advised acrobatic sex as a viable form of cardio (Sorry, Dad, if you're reading this).
I have no segue, so let's jump right into: what the hell? It's not like I've never done this before. I've just never been consistent about it. I hear people say that once you get used to exercise, it doesn't hurt so much. Well, that cannot happen fast enough for me. Sometimes I think about those people who run marathons and never consume any sugar, trans fats or salt, and still drop dead of a heart attack.
I think maybe someone pissed someone off. Yeah... hmmmm.... apparently today is the day of no transitions, so let's jump in.

The Goal:
Rest or do 30-45 minutes of cross-training (any cardio other than walking or running).

The Reality:
Taking the rest option was so very, very tempting, but I figured I better not lose what modicum of momentum I have. I wasn't in the mood to go to the office gym (yes, my office has a gym, and there's not much you should be jealous of me for, but if your office doesn't have a gym, that's something, just sayin'), so I decided to pop in the Dancing With the Stars cardio fit DVD.

Little pop trivia sidebar: I love to dance -- swing, ballroom, Latin... it's a blast. I danced in college and I love doing it, but I don't get to very often because, take note, the men in this town are pussies. Actually, the men in most towns are pussies. In my experience, the only men at dance classes are the ones who have been dragged by their women, so the idea of touching another woman is... well, it might not be abhorrent to them, but if dudes are afraid of one thing, it's getting the evil eye from their ladies. Gentlemen, grow a pair. And ladies... really.

Well, suffice to say, most of my opportunity to dance is restricted to the alone in my apartment variety. Which would have been fine. Except the DVD didn't work. (Prayers to the God of Electronics that it's the disc and not my player). Which lead me to.... stairwell suicides.

Yes, I'm sure that going up and down steps counts as walking, to a degree. But I wanted to get something done before I lost my momentum. So up and down and up and down we went, my iPod and me. Up 8, down 8, up 16, down 16, up 24, down 24, up 32, down 32, up 40, down 40, up 48, down 48. Times four stairwells. So that's.... (calculator) up and down 672 steps.

The Result:

Those aforementioned vibrations? The not good kind? The kind Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch were not singing about? Yeah. In my knees. Which, an hour later, are still shaking.

Today's Suck:

Ate a doughnut. I know I'm not doing the deprivation thing, but I also do have to get back on track with not eating sweets or indulgent foods just because they're there, rather than because I really want them. Also, my mental energy was generally low today, which might contribute to my writing something that sounds like it comes from a six-year-old or an accountant.

Today's Success:

Given the option of skipping a workout today, I opted to do one, even if it varied a little from what was suggested in the plan. And... despite my legs hurting like a mother, I didn't fall down.

No comments:

Post a Comment